Tuesday, July 17, 2007

4th of July Vacation Part I: Charlevoix

Rae and I paid a visit to her family in Michigan for the 4th of July. My official word for the week was decadent. We zoomed around on a boat, played golf, and ate lots of food.

The first part of the trip was spent up north in Charlevoix (top of the mitten). Thursday was spent with John, Robbin, and Co. on their new boat, the JD Won One II. It's rather deluxe, and even has a dingy on the back. Their boat has a boat.

On day two, Rae, Ray, Irene and I played golf at Dunmaglas. This was the first of three rounds that my father-in-law Ray and I played over a three-day period (thanks, Ray). What I remember most about Dunmaglas is that there is a big hill in the middle of the course and they set it up with a bunch of tee boxes on top. The result is that you get to hit soaring drives that hang up in the air and then drop down to earth at ten thousand miles an hour. Pretty cool. The downside is that, to facilitate the layout, they needed lots of long winding cart paths that seemed longer than the holes themselves. Not exactly a walker's course.

Here's Rae on the 14th tee. You can see the big drop to the fairway behind her.

No comments: