Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Race Day: Ithaca 5 & 10

Sunday was my first ever road race! Rae and I ran the 5-mile part of the Ithaca 5 & 10. We ran the whole way without stopping, hurray for us! Our time was 45:56, which works out to be 9:12 per mile.

I can report that running five miles in Ithaca was significantly less arduous than running four and a quarter miles in Syracuse (my longest run prior to the race). Having 150 people running with you helps motivate you along, and also the weather in Ithaca was cool and the course was flat.

I don't think running will jump to the top of my priority list, but I'm up for the Turkey Trot, which Rae and I are going to run Thanksgiving morning in Rochester. It's a bit shorter, and I think we can break nine-minute miles!

5 comments:

Dave said...

Thanks Kate! Your running inspiration has reached even me.

By the way, you're excused for not calling me back. You've clearly lost your mind. (embroidered personalized hats?)

Rollie Littlewood said...

I just read your blog entry about the Ithaca 5 & 10. I want to know how they found a flat place for this race. Was it out in the country? One of my major recollections of Ithaca is that bicycling was fairly uncommon (at least compared to either Champaign or Madison) because the place was so darned hilly.

Dave said...

They did in fact find a flat route. We started at Ithaca High School and ran in a loop that took us into town a bit and then back past the school and into Stewart Park.

I just checked the web site for the Ithaca 5 and 10, and they have a link to an interactive course map:

http://myoutdoors.net/index.php?journal=845

Rollie Littlewood said...

Yes, I see--that part of Ithaca should be flat. Most of my memories of Ithaca are from "far above Cayuga's waters" where flat hardly exits until you get up near the athletic fields. But I do remember Stewart park--I think I even still have some pictures I took there in the mid-60s.

Dave said...

If the pictures have you in them, we should make a new blog post...