Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Long Island

Everyone from work is here at the big demo on Long Island. Close to sixty people I think. So far, the days have been long, but the feedback from the "red team" has been good. I don't think they have the power to single-handedly get Phase II approved, but I'm sure they have the power to single-handedly squash it if they aren't happy with our progress. It's all sort of like a job interview. Even if the interview goes well, you really don't have any idea what the folks on the other side of the desk are thinking. So much goes on behind the scenes.

I'm excited to post my new story about Rose the snail! I had a great time putting up the Froggy story, so I went ahead and wrote another one. I put a lot more time into the new one. Not sure why exactly. It's longer, but not that much longer. The first one I just wrote and liked it right away, but I had to go over the new one a few times before I was happy with it.

By the way, if anyone knows the guidelines/rules for quoting dialog, I'd like to know. When do you include the quote in a paragraph of prose, and when do you break it into a separate paragraph? Is it okay to have multiple sentences inside a single set of quotes when the quote is included directly in a paragraph of prose? I did that in the Rose story, and it doesn't look right for the longer quotes.

Oh well. Writing stories is an art, and I shall apply artistic license!

No comments: