Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Podcasts

I've added a list of podcast links to my blog over there on the right. These are real winners. I listened to the Nature podcast this morning. This afternoon I'm planning to cure cancer and discover a few distant habitable planets.

If you're not familiar, Nature is "the international weekly journal of science." It's kind of a big deal. Rich mahogany, the whole nine yards.

One ranking system for journals is the impact factor, which is a measure of how often papers from a given journal have been cited. Most of the journals in my field have impact factors in the range of 0.5 to 3.0. The impact factor for Nature is 31.2 (and will certainly go up now that their podcast is on my blog.)

A word of warning--the NPR podcast list is overwhelmingly long and may lead to a loss of productivity, or in extreme cases, a total work shutdown.

1 comment:

Dave said...

What up, pod nerd?

I think you should go for it. I have an iPod thing for my car stereo that lets me plug in directly, which is the way to go (the radio transmitter ones are lame I think). Mine is outdated at this point, but I took a look at the current Alpine stereos and it looks like most of them are iPod ready (they start at $200 plus installation and you need a $30 cable). They're cool, the iPod interface shows up on your car stereo. I'm big on the satellite radio too, you should get a stereo that's compatible in case you want to get it later.

Man, my car was bumpin' before some fuck stole my subwoofer.