Thursday, May 15, 2008

Post-Standard Amateur

Next week I'm trying my luck in a bona fide golf tournament, the Post-Standard Amateur!

I played in some Golf Channel Amateur Tour events last year and it went pretty well. Those events are handicapped though; they divide you into flights based on your ability. The Post-Standard Amateur is legit stroke play with no funny business. Last year's winner was a college golfer named Zach Vinal, and the year before that it was won by Jim Roy, who used to play on the freaking PGA Tour. Needless to say, the smart money is not on me.

I don't really have a goal in mind other than to go out and experience playing in this type of tournament. There is a qualifying stage to get into the tournament proper, so that's where I'll start. I'm playing on the first day of qualifying and the listing in the paper says that I'll be competing among 66 players for 24 spots in the field.

Wish me luck!

No comments: