Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Barcelona!

Holy smokes -- I'm in Spain!

I arrived in Barcelona on Saturday morning. So far, I've seen one million scooters, drank espressos, come close to trying to pet a pack of feral cats, had terribly irregular sleeping patterns, and explored the downtown/port area.

It took all the restraint I could muster not to pet the cats. They were so cute! But there were a bunch of them, and none of them had collars. Then I noticed that they were eating food off the ground (folks here apparently leave piles of cat food on the street for the feral cats to eat). I asked the guy at the hotel if the cats were wild.

Hotel Guy: "Wild?"

Me: "Do they live with people?"

Hotel Guy: "Oh, no, they are wild."

Me: "So I should not pet them?" (with accompanying hand gesture)

Hotel Guy: "It would not be a good idea."

This is the Port de Barcelona. I brought my camera, but I forgot the cable that connects it to the computer, so I'll have to wait until I get home to post pictures of my own.

Having trouble falling asleep? This is sure to knock you unconscious -- read about the conference on computational plasticity I'm attending.

No comments: