Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Golf League

Tonight was my first time out with the "No Name" golf league. I jumped blindly into the whole league thing--I just happened to meet a guy on the practice green a few weeks ago who knew of a guy who had open spots in his league. First impressions: I'm the youngest guy by twenty years, and the skill levels vary wildly among players. I'm cool with that. Tonight I put a woopin' on the other guys in my foursome.

Rae thought I might feel bad about beating guys my dad's age, but I don't feel bad at all. First off, age doesn't really mean so much in golf. Just a few weeks ago, I got crushed by a guy who is well into his seventies. Old guys tend to have wack swings due to a lack of flexibility and balance, but some of them can keep it in play off the tee and then kill you inside a hundred yards. Secondly, I've paid some dues in golf. I'm no natural, I spent years as a frustrated hacker and am just now getting into the respectable range.

By the way, here's Dave's golf scale:

100+   Hacker
90s     Reasonable
80s     Respectable
70s     Player

Also, as you can see I've added a permanent Golf Tracker section over there on the right (partially inspired by Rae and Kate's crazy computerized running logs). Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Dave said...

They have GPS units like you wouldn't believe (e.g. SkyCaddie). If there's one sport with gear overkill, it's golf. Do a google search for the Suunto G6; it's a watch that records your swing speed and tempo.

Have you ever been at a course with GPS units in the golf carts? They're pretty neat. They show your position on a map with yardages to the green and the hazards. You can even use them to order lunch at the turn.

As far as playing, I do fine with the yardages on the sprinkler heads. But it would be neat sometime to plot the journey around the course.