Wednesday, August 29, 2007

2007 Golf League Recap

Last week was the final match of the season for the No Name Golf League. We played nine holes every Tuesday evening at Frear Park for 18 weeks straight. No rainouts! I missed the first week, but made every week after that, due largely to Frear Park's liberal make-up policy.

This was my first time in a league, and I am definitely glad I joined. It made for a great Tuesday ritual: leave work early in the evening, play nine holes, and then get dinner at the Park Pub. I lucked out with the No Name league in that it's full of nice guys and the drinking is pretty limited. I was a bit worried that I would end up in a league full of middle-aged drunks storming around like a bunch of gorillas. As far as I can tell, that's the Thursday night league, so we're good to go on Tuesdays.

I'm not sure where I finished in terms of league standings. I know that Don M. won the first half, and Bob W. won the second half. Our league is handicapped, so to win what you really need to do is get progressively better so that you play at or below your handicap. Bob put in a lot of practice time, and it paid off. I did achieve a moral victory in that I ended the year with the lowest league handicap.

Here's my recap:

  • scoring average: 41.8 (6.3 over par for nine holes)
  • fairways hit: 43%
  • greens hit: 45%
  • putts: 17.6 per nine holes
Photo credits: Philip Kamrass/Times Union

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... that is some disturbingly detailed data... I am glad that you had a fun league experience with the non-gorilla men! Yay for the lowest handicap! That means you're the best right?

Dave said...

If you think that stuff is detailed, you should see what the Game Tracker program at The Golf Channel's web site turns out. It has a place to record every single shot from every round.

Here are some putting stats from my last 20 rounds:

0 putts: 0.6%
1 putts: 20.0%
2 putts: 66.1%
3 putts: 13.3%
other: 0.0%

I must have chipped in somewhere to get that zero putt.

Actually Kate, my putting in the league isn't very good. My overall putting average is 34.6 putts per round, and really I need to get that down in the 32 range. The course where we played out league is wide open off the tee but has tough greens, so my driving looks better and my putting looks worse than it actually is.

I looked up the putting stats of Aaron Baddeley, one of the better putters on the PGA tour. He averages 28.3 putts per round. Of course, he hits a lot more greens in regulation than I do. That's another thing that throws off your stats; if you miss the green by just a bit your putting stats will look good, because you can usually chip it close and give yourself a chance to one putt.