Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Revenge Is Sweet

I played Burden Lake Country Club this morning and shot an 81. I'd played this course once before, last September. Yes, it's true, I kept the score in my golf files. But even without looking I remember the day because I struggled mightily and carded a 107. That means I improved my score by 26 strokes. Take that Chuck Baltzel, mister golf course architect.

The big highlight came on the 16th hole. There were a number of junior golf groups out on the course. Each group was comprised of four kids and an instructor. It looked like they were starting each hole at the 100-yard marker and playing putting games once they reached the green. They were up at the green on 16, and the instructor waved at me to play through, so I promptly pulled my approach shot into the green-side rough. Then, in front of the gallery of eight-year-olds, my chip shot landed softly on the green, tracked to the hole, and rolled right in the heart of the cup for a birdie! Naturally, I received an instructor-prompted round of applause.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - a lot of golf lingo thrown in that post! Way to go Dave the all-star! You'll knock 'em all over in your next big tournament!

Dave said...

Can you imagine playing golf in front of hundreds of people? Scary.

Green-side rough is just the tall grass next to the green. It's no different that the regular rough, except that it's near the green. To be sure, I was not aiming there! Sometimes it's hard to hit a little chip shot from the rough, since the ball can sit down in the grass. When they trick out a course for the pros, the rough is sometimes so thick that they can barely see the ball.

Just last night I was reading about the rough at the 1926 US Amateur. This guy was quoted as saying that he lost his ball and had to drop another one. But then he lost that ball too. And then when he went looking for his second ball, he lost his caddy. Ha!